Jason Roy turns down England call-up to face Ireland as he mulls international retirement… days after being left out of England’s World Cup squad in favour of Harry Brook
- The 2019 World Cup winner was dropped after suffering from back spasms
- National selector Luke Wright extended the olive branch with Ireland offer
- Roy is still considering whether he wants to be a World Cup reserve for India
Jason Roy has turned down the chance to play in England’s final two one-day internationals against Ireland as he contemplates his international retirement.
Roy was left out of England’s final World Cup squad this week despite earlier being told that he would definitely go to India and was instead replaced by Harry Brook.
It looked certain to bring down the curtain on the England career of one of the most significant players in white-ball history and a key figure in the 2019 World Cup win.
But national selector Luke Wright held out an olive branch to Roy by asking him if he wanted to play against Ireland at Trent Bridge on Saturday and Bristol next Tuesday and then go on stand-by as England’s reserve opener for next month’s World Cup.
Roy said no to the Ireland games on Thursday and is still said to be considering whether he wants to be a World Cup reserve, staying at home but being available for an emergency call-up, at this stage of his career.
Jason Roy has turned down the opportunity to face Ireland in England’s last two internationals
The 33-year-old was not selected for England’s World Cup squad, with Harry Brook favoured
The likelihood is that, at 33, he will decide the time is right for him to concentrate full-time on the lucrative franchise circuit while still playing for Surrey in the T20 Blast and the Oval Invincibles in the Hundred.
Earlier this season Roy caused controversy by giving back his incremental England contract to take up the first year of a £300,000 two-year deal to play in the new Major League in the US that now poses such a threat to the English domestic season.
England today announced that instead of Roy Somerset’s Tom Kohler-Cadmore will join up with what is a second-string England squad in Nottingham today.
Joe Root, who was due to play in the first game against Ireland that was abandoned amid farcical scenes at Headingley on Wednesday, will now rest ahead of England’s departure for the World Cup in India next Wednesday.